Friday, September 9, 2016

Portfolio: οικογένεια (Family)

Paris, a Prince of Troy,  looked at her with lustful eyes, his desire overcoming any love for his country. Helen, the Queen of Sparta, stood there with tense shoulders aware of his staring and malintent. Then he walked over to her waving his shoulders as if he was the King of Sparta. But before he could say anything she slapped him across the face so hard that it left a red handprint across his face and she fled back to her true love, the King of Sparta, Menelaus. Paris, filled with rage and unfulfilled lust, began to plan his revenge, and from the corner of his eye he noticed a child, Lucious, the child of Helen and Menelaus. In that moment, his mind was made up and in the blink of an eye he acted. Hector, the future King of Troy and brother to Paris, and the Trojans began their journey back unknowing of the kidnapped child in the lower deck of the ship. And soon they sailed far away before anyone noticed that the child was gone.

Menelaus, filled with rage, burst through the door of his brother's war room as Agamemnon was discussing battle plans with his generals. "He's gone. Those thieves took my child." This was the chance Agamemnon was longing for. He had been looking for the opportunity to attack the Trojans, but had never been able to get the Kings of Greece together to do so. He sent out messenger after messenger to all of the Kings of Greece asking them to fulfill their promise of protecting the Queen Helen and her child. And after months of preparation Agamemnon and the Kings of Greece set sail, with the largest fleet the world had ever seen, for the largest war the world would ever know.

Then there was Achilles, the greatest warrior in the world, and his cousin Patroclus whom he loved dearly. The war had been going on for three years now, the Greeks gaining ground slowly, but losing many men in the process. Achilles, who had been protecting his cousin from battle, knew that soon enough he would not be able to continue to do so. He knew that if he was to leave Greece he would be leaving his best chance at eternal glory. This was not an easy choice, but he knew what he must do. He was not willing to risk the life of his cousin Patroclus, whom he loved more than even himself. Patroclus was furious at this decision, believing he was ready to fight and if it be to die. He had been secretly training with soldiers in other camps and seeing the struggles of battle. Filled with grief at the sacrifice his fellow Greeks were making, he knew he could not leave and had decided exactly what he was going to do.
(Battle in Iliad)
The day before they were to leave, Patroclus snuck out of his tent and prepared for the upcoming battle that was to ensue. And so hiding himself among the battalion of troops he went to battle, not knowing of his fate and willing to give his life for his King. The battle began. Patroclus, kin of Achilles was a natural-born killer. He killed dozens and fought bravely, but the forces were outmatched and were slowly being pushed back by Trojans cavalry. Not willing to leave his friend behind, he stayed to hold off men while fellow Greeks were able to escape, and he was captured. Thrown with the other captives, he slowly was dragged back to Troy. The news soon returned to Achilles of the bravery of a long-blonde-haired soldier who killed bravely and was captured. He did not care though. He went to Patroclus' tent to let him know that it was time, but he found it empty. His mind was racing as to where he might have gone and then it hit him. Patroclus was the soldier. Achilles knowing of Patroclus' deep desire to gain glory in battle knew that must have been him. This grieved Achilles deeply, and he planned his rescue of Patroclus.


(shows men using weapons)

Achilles, taking advantage of the full assault planned by Agamemnon on the front gates of Troy, joined in secretly with the forces. Soon the battle began. For hours the armies fought valiantly until the Greeks with Achilles at the helm pushed forward and continued to do so, barraging the front gate of Troy with sheer force. Soon the gate was useless and broken in by the Greeks and they stormed into Troy. Achilles began his search and soon with his overtaking speed was far ahead of the Greek army and already up to the King's Palace. His ferociousness and rage driven emotion was overtaking anybody who was willing to stand in his path.

Then in the courtyard he saw his cousin standing in chains next to the heroic Trojan warrior Hector. Hector was waiting for Achilles as soon as he had heard that the cousin of Achilles had been captured. He knew Achilles would come for his beloved Patroclus. And the fight began, the fight that would be spoken of for centuries. Both soldiers so skilled with a blade, continued to lunge at each other with their swords, hoping to end the life of the other and receive eternal glory. Patroclus was fearful of what was to become of his cousin, but Achilles was better, faster, and stronger than Hector. After minutes of fighting, Achilles found his mark and with one swing of the blade struck Hector down.
(Achilles slays Hector)

He cut Patroclus free of his chains and they began to flee. Soon they had run all the way outside of the city. Both men, exhausted, embraced each other with the love that only family could have. Their fate was not yet decided, but what is true of these men was that the love of family could not be so easily destroyed and it shows how far one will go for those whom he loves.

Author's Note: This story was influenced by Homer's Iliad which tells the story of the war between Greece and Troy. King Agamemnon, obsessed with power, used whatever he could to attack Troy and baited Achilles to fight with the idea of eternal glory.  It tells of the great fight between Hector and Achilles and Hector's demise. And finally it tells of Achille's anger about Briseis, then reconciliation with Agamemnon after the death of Patroclus. This story shows the heroism of Hector and sacrifice for his family and of the great warrior Achilles. One major change I decided to make is the switch of family love between Hector and Achilles because I thought it would bring a different taste of the characters. I made two other important changes to this story. First, to make it show Achilles' love for his family I made Patroclus his cousin. Second, instead of Patroclus dying he was captured and used as bait by Hector to lure Achilles to him. I chose the image I did because it is simple and shows men fighting amongst each other. My overall goal for this story was to bring to life the idea of what we would do for our family and the sacrifice that I believe we would all be willing to make for those closest to us. I want this project to show the significance and desperation that love gets us. That will be the main theme of this portfolio and these stories when I change them: love and sacrifice.

Bibliography: Homer's Iliad by A.J. Church; link to story

10 comments:

  1. John,

    First, the title is very engaging. Seeing something in another language is very interesting, and it may compel readers who otherwise wouldn't read the story to do so. I almost wish that you didn't reveal what it meant in the title, but left it as a reveal for the end of the story. A sort of revelation for the reader.

    I read Homer's Iliad for this class, and also took the opportunity to change a few things in one of my stories. I like how you switched the character with prominent familial relations, it really made me root for Achilles as opposed to feeling sad for Hector. I also like how you used the element of Patroclus being captured to motivate Achilles.

    Thanks so much for sharing your work. This is a really strong start to your portfolio. I look forward to reading more of your stories throughout the upcoming semester.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John!
    I also liked that your title was in a different language and I think that this could be a cool signature for you and your stories. Alongside what Andrew said, I think that it would be cool for the readers to figure out throughout the reading what the title of your story translates to. Throughout this course I was also given the opportunity to read Homer’s Iliad which enables me to recognize the characters and setting. I like the rearranging you have made with the plot and the twist to the reader's perspective.
    If you keep up your strains of creativity with each story I think you will have a fun time writing them and I think your audience will appreciate reading your stories too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey John! This is Christine from Ada. I just realized you were in this class—so cool! Hope college is going well for you. Anyway, I thought you did a really good job with this story. I agree with the other commenters here that your title is on point! It definitely caught my attention. I liked how true you stayed to the original story, only making changes where you needed to to fit with your new theme. I also read the Iliad and I took a radically different approach for my storytelling, so it was fun to see what someone else did with it. The only suggestion I have is to maybe cut down on some of the description and add a bit more dialog. It seems like you had a lot of fun writing this, which makes it way more fun to read. I'm looking forward to checking out more of the stories you add to your portfolio as the semester goes on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello John, I agree with the other students feedback. Your tittle being in a different language gives the story its initial intrigue, but I like that you provided their meaning. That gave your story its second intrigue. I like the description of the battle between your villian and hero. The emphasis on love is a nice addition to the original story and gives the story more depth. The story had a nice tone and flow to it. The visual aid throughout the story provided a nice was to invision the battles as the developed and it helped the story to progress forward to the conclusion. I am looking forward to reading your other stories. I like that you are going to keep emphasizing the love or romance aspect in your other stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John, I really like how your Portfolio has this overall theme of courage, bravery, and sacrifice. It made me interested to read your stories! I decided to read the story about a great warrior who makes a sacrifice for his family. I was somewhat familiar with the original version of the story, but the Author’s Note is really informative and gives the audience a good amount of background information so that they can see the differences between your version of the story and the original version. I think that the image you used goes well with your story, too. The way you wrote your story was very visual, so I had a mental image of everything as I was reading it. That can be really hard to do, and you executed it really well. Overall, I really liked reading your story, and I think your Portfolio is off to a great start. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey John, I really enjoyed the movie Troy as well! You did a great job with the story. I only noticed a couple of things you might change. First, when introducing Achilles you mention that if he left Greece he would be leaving his best chance at eternal glory, however, it seems to me that his presence to shift the tide and finish the job in Troy would bring him much more glory. Also, at the end of the 5th paragraph you're a little repetitive when describing Achilles. I'm sure you could find a great word to "overtake" overtake. I feel it would really help your story out if you did. If you changed the second use to "overpower" I believe that would help. Whatever you deem fitting there, however.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great portfolio! I really enjoyed your last story “family.” The fact that you had Helen slap Paris was a wow moment. The older stories with Odysseus always have men running off to war and engaged in constant battle. With your story I was able to see the progression of events that caused the fighting and it provided me with a lot of the background I was missing!! I also really enjoyed how you wove pictures throughout the story. It felt like I was able to see the events as they unfolded! The background you gave also gave me more insight into the characters! It was great to see how Menelaus reacted to his son being taken. It gave me a deeper connection to the character and had me rooting for him to get his family back (and might I just add that that family seems to be pretty kick butt, from Helen slapping Paris to Menelaus going to war to get his kid back!) Overall, great story! I really enjoyed the theme of your blog and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You wrote this very well. I really liked it. I could imagine the different parts of the story in my head. Not only that, with your descriptions, I could feel the different emotions as well. The first part about Paris and Helen somewhat distracted me from the main story about Achilles and Patroclus. However, it was necessary to know because it led us to know why the war began. The only thing I am wondering is if Paris and Helen were alone in the beginning. It does not really say. I would assume the three were not in the same room because King Menelaus would have done something if he saw that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the descriptions you use in your stories. They really bring it to life and make it seem real. I am a little confused about Paris waving his shoulders? I am not sure what that means and why Helen slapped him for it. I am imagining him doing some sort of combination of a shrug and a shimmy. Definitely an interesting hello but I wouldn’t slap anyone for it! I like how you used multiple images in your story. It helps me visualize it because it was such a different time. I think you do a good job writing in third person but still writing in a way that shows their emotions in a more first person kind of way. I read this story earlier in the semester and it confused me with all of the characters. You did a good job honing in on the main storyline and making it easier to read. Great job and good luck with the rest of your semester! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete